Surrounded by hills filled with wild boar, Borgo Bernardini was once the hunting lodge retreat of Count Cosimo Bernardini of Lucca who would spend his weekends in the country.

The Bernardini family played an instrumental role in the administration and politics of the Republic of Lucca and were responsible for the upkeep of law (magistrates) and order from 1388 through to 1798. They continued to support the new political order with the invasion of Napoleon towards the end of the 18th century.

At this time, Borgo was extended to become a small village for the workers of the estate which included an olive press, bakers and chapel.